Monday, September 17, 2012

The new iPhone 5 - and why I will never buy it.

     So, Apple just released the iPhone 5, and everyone seems to be excited about it, but for me its the first iPhone I really don't want.  Now, I've done the Apple "thing" for a few years now, and I've owned every iPhone model except for the 5 and the 3gs, and that's where the iPhone road ends for me.  For one, I've got a lot of iPhone/iPod goodies - Two of my cars have iPhone integration, so does my alarm clock, and my home stereo, thanks to the 30 pin dock connector.  When the iPhone 3G came out, and dropped 12v charging, boy I was PISSED!  Apple pushes something like firewire on its customers, and then drops it.  I ended up dealing with my alarm clocks, rewiring one car's dock connector, and getting a charge adapter for the other.. which is flaky.  Now Apple changes the dock connector, and I will need  one, possibly two adapters just to use my iPod accessories.. That is definitely NOT going to happen.

     I do have a solution though, I just received a beautiful 5th gen 30g iPod I purchasiff of eBay.  Plenty of storage, wonderful click wheel, and very hackable, but best of all it works with all of the 30 pin iPod accessories, without adapters. In my opinion, its the best MP3 player out there, bar none.
 -
   As far as the phone goes, my next personal smartphone will definitely be Android based.  I'm really quite upset with Apple in general.. I've had an on/off love affair with Linux for nearly 10 years (Ubuntu more recently) and have finally decided to kick OSX off my MacBook for good.