Thursday, August 18, 2011

How to "win" with your iPhone data plan

When I say "win" with your iPhone data plan, I'm not talking about how to get your unlimited data plan back now that tiered data plans are now becoming industry standard (people who were downloading huge amounts of data with unlimited plans were abusing the network anyway); what I am talking about is how you can get that cheaper, small data plan - like AT&T's $15 200mb plan - and save some cash. You'd only save $10/a month, but if you are a frugal... ok well cheap individual such as myself OR you are trying your best to stay under that 2 or 4gb DataPro limit then I've got some great data savings tips for you. Following these has brought my 1100mb/month habit to well under 2oomb with little drama.

1. iPhones are coming with up to 64GB of storage now, use it! stop streaming pandora and netflix, store your content locally

2. Use the Opera browser. Data is compressed at the server level by Opera, reducing your usage.

3. Block ads. They are not only annoying, but they steal your precious bandwidth. I personally VPN to my home, and use my own DNS server which filters internet ad servers.. But that is for another post. There are adblock apps for Jailbroken devices.

4. Jailbreak and install SBS settings. Toggles are available to quickly turn your mobile data on and off, without digging through the settings app. Things happen in the background and transmit data, so if you don't need it, simply turn it off.

Using a combination of these tips got my data usage from 700mb-1200mb/month down to under 100. The only thing I feel like missing out on is a bigger bill from AT&T.