Thursday, December 9, 2010

My first attempt at building Chrome OS from Soruce

following the instructions at http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-guide I attempted to build the chrome OS from source, because I REALLY wanted to give it a shot and was unable to find a "legit" image of it anywhere. It was unsuccessful because I ran out of disk space, but here is what I learned:

1. You need a TON of disk space to build the chroot, download the code and packages, and then generate the image. I had a 20gb Ubuntu partition with 10gb free, and that was not enough space. I even deleted my other programs to make room, and I still ran out before it was done. I'll bring more disk next time.

2. The process is bandwidth intensive, so if you have anything less than hi-speed cable, forget it. I have as much as 15mb of bandwidth here, but the downloading itself took a couple of hours.

3. The process is very hardware intensive. Most of the time, my 2009 Macbook Pro had both cores maxed out just to get by. It spent a few hours just compiling the code.

Even though I pretty much had to butcher my Ubuntu install, and still did not get the desired result, I'm willing to give it another shot, just not right now. First, I'll have to make a bigger Ubuntu partition on my MacBook, and re-install Ubuntu again.