Wednesday, October 20, 2010

D-Link DIR-655 part 1 - Unboxing and installation


I finally got around to getting this router setup. Out of the box everything looks great, its all recyclable packaging, so that's a plus. There's the router (duh) power adapter, manual, separate antennas, drywall anchors and a vertical stand.


Here it is out of the box. Got to love the STOP!!! use CD first!!! label which is totally bogus. Installing additional useless software to install on your PC is well, is useless. Any modern computer (and most not so modern) have everything they need to access a network. Seriously, just plug it in, connect your Ethernet cable and browse to it.

Here is the business end. Get this - these antennas are REMOVABLE! this means to extend your network, higher gain antennas are easily attached. There are 4 Gigabit Ethernet switch ports, 1 Gigabit Ethernet WAN port, 1 USB for your printer or hard drive to share over the network (also rockin', BTW)


Here it is after installation and initial power up. I installed it right above my modem, and connected my Samsung Blu-Ray, my home server (more on that for another post) and attached the router to the wan port. Here is the only thing I have found so far that I don't like - the blue lights are VERY bright and annoying.


Coming up next - Configuration